Staying hydrated is one of the most important things a soccer player can do to maintain performance. Here are some general guidelines:
- Drink about 15-20 fl oz of water 2-3 hours before practice or game
- Drink 12-16 fl oz 10-15 min before practice or game. This is best met at this time with a Sports Drink with carbohydrates, such as Gatorade
- During practice, drink 8-10 fl oz every 20 min, water or sports drink
- In a game, drink 12-16 fl oz of a sports drink at halftime
- Weigh yourself before and after exercise and replace fluid losses.
- Drink 20-24 fl oz water for every 1 lb lost.