Washington Youth Soccer volunteers, coaches, and referees can now begin applying for their annual background check for the 2014-2015 seasonal year in Affinity. An applicant can apply for their risk management (RMA) clearance at any time before their next season starts. The RMA clearance is valid for a year from the date of application and WA Youth Soccer will send an email reminding the applicant when they need to reapply for the following year. Additionally, Associations may choose to set internal deadlines for applying for background checks.
RMA for WA Youth Soccer Volunteers: http://wys-bgc.affinitysoccer.com
RMA for Referees: http://wys-refereerma.affinitysoccer.com
Risk Management Updates Voted In by Council at Annual Player Fee Meeting
At the 2014 Annual Player Fee Meeting on January 25, the Washington Youth Soccer Council (Member Association Representatives, District Commissioners, and WA Youth Soccer Board of Directors) approved two significant changes to the risk management process for WA Youth Soccer.
The two changes to risk management that were approved by the Council on January 25th are:
1) A change to the expiration date for annual background checks, removing an annual expiration date (currently set to July 15th) and changing to a rolling expiration date based on the application date of each individual coach/volunteer/referee. [For example, if a volunteer applies for their background check on July 1, 2014, the expiration date for their annual background check will be July 1, 2015.] Applicants will receive an email from WA Youth Soccer 30 days prior to their personal expiration date, containing a link to Affinity to reapply for their background check. Applicants are able to apply through the Affinity link at any point during the year.
2) In order to streamline the financial accounting of risk management expenses, the Council voted to allocate risk management expenses based on the fiscal year in which applications are submitted. Essentially, any background checks submitted during the 2013 fiscal year (September 1, 2013-August 31, 2014) will be applied to the 2013-2014 seasonal year budget. Any background checks submitted after August 31, 2014, will be applied to the fiscal 2014 year (September 1, 2014-August 31, 2015). This distinction will allow WA Youth Soccer to accurately allocate any refunds of player fees back to Member Associations in the future.
As recommended by the WA Youth Soccer Board of Directors, the Council did not approve any change to the player fee for the 2014-2015 seasonal year, maintaining a $14 player fee. $1.93 of the $14.00 player fee will continue to be restricted funding for risk management.
The Board of Directors will work with staff and the Soccer Operations Committee to evaluate the total expenses for the first two years of national background checks, with a recommendation for the 2015-2016 player fee to be presented to the membership prior to the 2015 Annual Player Fee meeting. WA Youth Soccer intends to refund any remaining revenue from risk management back to the Member Associations on a per-player basis at the end of the 2014-2015 year.
Tips for Club and Association Administrators
• All currently approved risk management statuses expiring on July 15, 2014 will keep the July 15th expiration date – there will be no change to current expiration dates
• The background check application process in Affinity will not change for applicants
• Emails will be sent to directly to applicants whose status expires in 30 days and the emails will contain the link to the background check application in Affinity
• Administrators at the Club and Association level who have administrator rights in Affinity can view all applications for their organization at any time in Affinity – just follow the Registrar Toolset instructions on your home screen once you have logged into Affinity
• WA Youth Soccer is working with Affinity to develop new features to assist Club and Association administrators in tracking expiring background checks. We will create a new report for administrators and we are working to add filters to the Administrator Lookup tool to filter for applications expiring within 30 days – WA Youth Soccer will keep administrators updated on new features as they come online this spring
• Clubs and Associations are welcome to set internal deadlines for applying for background checks
Please share this among your administrators and contact WA Youth Soccer with any questions you may have. Feel free to contact Terry Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org or Hillary Beehler at email@example.com.